Friday, April 30, 2010

Loner Cover




So yesterday I commented about my ever-changing mind with regards to covers. In the case of this Paleo book I'm working on, my desire to find a cover image kept going back to this one panel that's in the comic. The POV is behind the main character and is looking up and back towards the head. Something about it I liked. That panel is the first image. Second is one of my earlier attempts. It came out ok, but something about the head in particular bothered me. The lower jaw seemed too long and maybe the head was just too square. Also the inking seemed a little rough. I tried sketching some more actiony- comic book type layouts, but once again was pulled back to the lone dino scene.

The last image is the one that I'm going to go with. I think. The similarity to the earlier image is undeniable, but it just is a better piece, as in, I'm happier with it. This will be the first Paleo wraparound cover.

9 comments:

  1. This looks great, Jim. I'm really looking forward to Loner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I've gotta tell you, I like the second image far more than the third. The composition is much more dynamic, and the action with the dino's face and the birds flying in the background are much more exciting to me than the third image which has a very flat composition and bored look in the dino's face. It's your vision that matters, but I thought I'd give you my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin' awesome! Def. looking forward to this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. Sorry to hear that you won't be going to any conventions this summer. My family and I are going to SDCC. I'm just wondering how an 18 month old will do there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, i've missed your updates Jim! Glad to see you back. Must say i've got that Neil Young song 'Loner' stuck in my head now, after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second the second one. I think the perspective works best with that one. The others look kind of wonky. Is wonky a word? Well, it is now.

    I'm looking forward to Loner! Is there any chance Bade and Orson will be in this? Yeah, I thought not. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. -->> When are we lookin' for release ??

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site. stretch woven fabric

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty part of content. http://awriter.org/123helpme-com-review/
    I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete