Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Got Away


Last week I wrapped up the pencilling of Dan's Tales issue (63) which is the sequel to the Leatherhead/Marlin story that was Tales 50. As well, Pete had given me the script for TMNT 32 about a month ago and had asked me recently when I thought I might be able to get started on it, so I used the pause in my schedule to do the layouts on that book.

These things finished, a little time away really appealed to me. I took Thursday and Friday off, and rode the Yamaha up to Lake George, NY- where there was a big motorcycle rally going on. Americade attracts bikers on a national scale and many thousands show up to enjoy the great roads and scenery of the Adirondacks region of New York. From there I rode north and spent the night in Ticonderoga.
Day 2, I had the great idea to ride to New Hampshire and the White Mountains. It took me a lot longer than I thought it would, I think just because there is no really good direct route. Still, I got to see tons of rural Vermont and NH and the weather was superb so I can't really complain too much. 2 pm got me into Lincoln, on the Western end of the Kancamagus. This highway runs up through the mountains and is just a spectacular ride. After that, my goal achieved, I headed home.
My ass screaming for mercy, I pulled into my driveway at 8 that night. Total mileage, about 630.

8 comments:

  1. Man, that's quite a loop!

    Daisy and I want to get to the White Mountains again. The last time we went it rained the whole week. It was beautiful though! Just soggy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you stay in Ticonderoga? I have a lot of family there! Great place for breakfast near the traffic circle called "The Hot Biscuit"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, after seeing those photos today of your bike parked in that field with all the others, I think I have to go to this event next year. -- PL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You picked a perfect weekend for a ride. :)

    If you ever get a chance, check out White Lake. Not a huge place, but perfect for those needed getaways... My brother and I like to go camping there once in a blue moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, I stayed at the lovely Super 8 next door to the Wal-Mart. The only meal I enjoyed while in town was a Subway grinder in my hotel room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like quite a ride! I love Lake George, my family and I vacation there every summer, amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ON TOPIC - off ::.. OLD SCHOOL TALES / in a NEW SCHOOL TALES WAY

    ** Jim's Cover of Tales 63 w/ Ryan Brown's Inks.. **

    ReplyDelete